Tuesday 14 March 2017

YIN YOGA


YIN YOGA

I have never been one to spend a lot of time stretching, even though I preach it at my office every day.  I try and attend yoga a couple times a week and have taken a variety of different classes.  In July I travelled to Bali to attend a six day Yin Yoga and Meditation Retreat with my sister.  This was my first experience with Yin Yoga.  WOW.  Yin Yoga is a slow-paced style of yoga with postures that are held for longer periods of time.   Yin Yoga applies moderate stress to the tendons, fascia and ligaments of the body with the sole purpose of increasing circulation in the joints and increasing flexibility.    During my retreat in Bali we held poses for six minutes…can you say uncomfortable.   Some poses were more painful then others and getting out of the poses I felt like I was 90 years old.   After six days of practice I really noticed a big difference in my flexibility and a decrease in my low back tightness that I experience daily.

Here are some of the benefits to Yin Yoga:
-calm and balance the mind and body
-increases flexibility and mobility, especially the joints and hips
-lowers stress levels
-regulates energy
-better lubrication of the joints
-release of fascia

I highly recommend you take some Yin Yoga classes, I can attest to how well it works.  There are some great apps for your devices, books and YouTube videos that can also get you started.  Pleases send me a message if you would like more information.   Happy stretching!

No comments:

Post a Comment